. Posted in Records Bureau

Records Division

Q: How do I obtain copies of police reports?

A: Police reports are usually available 3-5 business days after the report has been taken. Reports are available at the Records Division, inside the Police Headquarters, Monday-Friday from 8:30am-4:15pm ( frequently closed for lunch between 1:00pm and 2:00pm). The Records Division is closed on all Federal and State holidays. There is a cost for all reports according to the type of report and its length. 
In accordance with the Open Public Records Act (OPRA), persons requesting copies of any records must complete a records request form.

Q: Does the Police Department offer fingerprinting services?

A: Fingerprinting services are available Tuesday-Friday 7am-11:45am, No Holidays. There is a $20.00 fee for this. For further information please call the Records Division at (201) 251-4531.

Q: Do I need to register my alarm?

A: In accordance with Village Ordinance No. 1785, all residential and business alarms must be registered with the Police Department. Repeated false alarms will be subjected to fines as outlined in the ordinance.

Q: I understand that the Ridgewood Police Department is often in need of School Crossing Guards. Who do I contact to become one?

A: Being a school crossing guard is rewarding, part-time work that makes a positive contribution to the safety of our children. Contact Tom Shortway at (201) 251-4531.

Q: Can I leave a dumpster in the road in front of my house?

A: Applications for dumpster permits can be obtained through the Records Division. Please call (201) 251-4531 for more information.

Q: How do I get a handicapped placard for my vehicle?

A: Temporary handicapped permits can be obtained through the Records Division. Please call (201) 251-4531 for more information.


Q: Can I leave my vehicle parked in the street overnight?

A: Parking in the roadway is prohibited from 2am-6am. If for some reason you need to leave a vehicle in the roadway overnight, you must call (201) 652-3900 prior to 2 am and request permission. Permission will only be granted if there is no way to park a vehicle in your driveway or parking lot.

For extended overnight or special circumstance daytime parking permission, please send a written request to:

Ridgewood Police 
Attn: Capt. J. Luthcke
131 N. Maple Ave. 
Ridgewood, NJ 07450

Q: Where can I find out about commuter parking and resident permits. 
A: Click here for a link to the parking regulations and Business District PARKING GUIDE


Q: Does the Police Department concentrate on certain roadways where speeding vehicles are a problem?

A: The Police Department's Traffic Division handles these complaints and problem areas. Police units are assigned to enforcement details in areas where traffic problems have been determined to exist. If you have a specific complaint, please refer it to the Traffic Division, Sgt.Brian Pullman at (201) 251-4540.

Q: Can I have my child seat installed in my car?

A: The Ridgewood Police Department no longer offers car seat installation. Click here for a link to the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety for information about child passenger safety.  


Q: How early in the morning can I start construction and/or use construction tools at my house?

A: Village Ordinance 222-1 sets the guidelines for the use of construction equipment:

§ 222-1. Commercial use. 

A. Commercial use of power tools or landscaping and yard maintenance equipment and motorized construction equipment is permitted in the Village of Ridgewood in all residential zones or within 200 feet of a residential property line when such use is conducted on a commercial or industrial property during the following times only: 
(1) From Monday to Friday, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.; and
(2) On Saturday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
(3) Such operation is prohibited entirely on Sundays.

B. The Village Manager shall have the authority to permit the otherwise prohibited uses in the case of an emergency and on Sundays pursuant to rules and regulations promulgated by the Manager and approved by the Village Council. 
§ 222-2. Exceptions.

This chapter shall not apply to power machinery used for ice and snow removal.

Q: How do find out about school closings?

A: School closings are announced by the Ridgewood Public Schools and a phone notification is sent via Swift Reach. Additionally, parents may register for E-News with their child’s school, which will send email notification. Lastly, please check the Ridgewood Public Schools website for updates. Do not call the Police Department for this information. 

Q: I receive calls from solicitors requesting donations for various police related associations. Are these legitimate? Should I donate to these solicitors?

A: The Ridgewood Police Department does not solicit over the telephone. The Police Department is a part of the Ridgewood PBA Local #20. The only solicitation done from the Police Department or PBA Local 20 is through the mail, usually once annually. Calls from all other "law enforcement" organizations are done by telemarketing firms. These solicitations, DO NOT benefit the Ridgewood Police Department or PBA Local 20 in any way. These telemarketers are not Police Officers and use high pressure tactics to get you to participate. Several of them will say there solicitations benefit Bergen County Police Agencies. 

We urge you to use extreme caution should you decide to contribute to these agencies. The only organization making money from these solicitations is the telemarketing firm. If you decide to contribute to any of these organizations, always ask for the name, address and telephone number so that you may call back after careful consideration. Most of them will not give out this information. You may also ask for financial statements and/or budget information prior to making your decision. If you have any questions please direct them to the Police Department. 

Q: Who do I call to report problems with neighbors regarding property and/or zoning disputes?

A: Any civil disputes of this nature should be referred to the Building or Engineering Departments (201) 670-5500. The Police Department does not get involved in these types of civil matters.


Village Of Ridgewood Website

Ridgewood Office Of Emergency Management